HENRY FORD HEALTH SYSTEM
Transforming lives and communities through health and wellness—
one person at a time.
100 Years, 1915-2015
Starting in 1909—before his name became a household word—Henry Ford became a donor to the Detroit General Hospital Association. Construction began on a new hospital building in 1913, but in 1914 the venture stalled.
Henry and Clara Ford assumed the project, and in 1915 donated the land and created the not-for-profit Henry Ford Hospital. The Henry Ford School of Nursing and Hygiene and the 300-room Clara Ford Nurses Home opened in 1925, and the Edsel B. Ford Institute for Medical Research opened in 1947.
To this day, members of the Ford family maintain a tradition of deep commitment to and involvement in the Henry Ford Health System. The not-for-profit corporation provides health insurance and health care delivery, including acute, specialty, primary and preventive care services backed by excellence in research and education.
The Henry Ford Health System is committed to improving the health and well-being of a diverse community.